Monday, July 19, 2010

Sink-A-Pore

Singapore Marina BarrageImage via Wikipedia
I am beginning to think that Singapore might be sinking. We do have really terribly heavy downpour over the 31 years I have lived. I have never seen continuous flash flood like this. Some attributed it to the Marina Barrage, which is a dam built to convert the Singapore River and its streams of rivers into a giantic reservoir. Really noble idea if you ask me. After all, we do not have natural springs to produce drinkable water. This is definitely better than converting waste water into potable water. Seriously. A few days ago, I was enjoying myself in bed (no, not that kind of sexual pleasure you are thinking about) sleeping past noon. Not that I was aware that a heavy downpour had occured at 4am. I only caught a glimpse of my friend's posting on Facebook complaining about the need to travel 40 mins to work instead of 10 because of non-passable lanes due to flooding at some stretch of the road. I do believe we are sinking. We need to live up to our name since we are not known as a nation who sings. Then maybe sinking is the next best association. Hahaha


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment